Do You Need to Go to A&E?

A&E departments are there to provide Emergency Care or treatment for serious or life threatening injuries. A&E departments are not there to provide routine medical care or repeat prescriptions. Minor injuries and illnesses can be treated at the surgery during opening hours or by the Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC)at Lewes Victoria Hospital (open 8am-8pm everyday)- Telephone 01273 402504. Uckfield Community Hospital also has a UTC  -01825 769999. If you need advice on the most appropriate service for you please visit 111 online or telephone 111.Your NHS App also has a link to use 111 online to check if you need urgent medical help or how to access the help you need for your problem.Click this link for more information 

When urgent Treatment Centres can help instead of A&E

When to visit an Urgent Treatment Centre (walk-in centre or minor injury unit) - NHS (

Urgent treatment centres are usually staffed by nurses. If you need one, you can often get tests like an ECG (electrocardiogram), blood tests or an X-ray.

They can help with things like: 

    • sprains and strains
    • suspected broken bones
    • injuries, cuts and bruises
    • stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhoea 
    • skin infections and rashes
    • high temperature in children and adults
    • mental health concerns

If you need a prescription one can be organised for you. Emergency contraception is also available.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website